Out of Focus




In storage


Since the fall of 2021, the renovation of the Binnenhof has been in full swing. The Senate and House of Representatives have moved to a temporary location near Central Station. The Binnenhof itself is only accessible to workmen. That also means that the 19th-century fountain by architect Cuypers in the courtyard is not accessible to the public. Once the work is completed, the fountain will also be seen again in its full glory. This is expected to be in late 2026, early 2027.

Artwork Data


Fontein met Graaf Willem II


Pierre (Petrus Josephus Hubertus) Cuypers, Ludwig Jünger




ijzer, steen en brons


h. 640 cm

Artwork Location


Binnenhof, Den Haag

City district


GPS data

52.079321568811, 4.3123985998611 View on map

Artwork Description


A cursory glance does not suggest that this work of art dates from the 19th century. That is how well it harmonises with the 13th-century buildings that form the backdrop: Ridderzaal and Rolgebouw. This has everything to do with the design of the fountain by the famous architect Pierre Cuypers. For Cuypers, the medieval Gothic style was an important source of inspiration. He was therefore able, like no other, to design the homage to Count Willem II, the supposed founder of The Hague. All details refer to the period when the Count was a powerful European ruler in The Hague: the gothic letters of the inscription, the gargoyles on the wrought-iron structure, the elegant floral motifs and the knight's helmets and shields. On top is the gilded statue of the count by sculptor Ludwig Jünger. Cuypers also worked with him on the Central Station in Amsterdam, for which Jünger made reliefs.

Although William II was of great importance to Holland - he laid the foundation for the economic prosperity of the region with the development of the cities and the water boards - he was wrongly seen as the founder of the centre of The Hague. His father, Count Floris IV, was responsible for this. In 1229, Floris IV bought a farm on the site of the Binnenhof to build a hunting lodge, and later a residence with a banquet hall. His son Willem II enlarged his father's hall around 1250. Then his son, Floris V, built the hall into the current Ridderzaal. The hunting lodge thus grew into a veritable royal complex.


In memory of William II, King of Rome and Count of Holland, patron of urban freedoms, protector of art, founder of the castles in The Hague and Haarlem (1227-1256)', is written on the edge of the fountain.